Everyday Elegance - Smart Design
Everyday Elegance: Make Smart Design Choices That Suit Your Lifestyle
Subtle little details in design can make a world of difference in the day-to-day
When putting together a budget for an interior design project, you may find yourself pulled between wants and needs. Are draperies, for example, more valuable than floorcovering? Is artwork the way to go, or is your money better spent on an incredible sofa?
Great design elements, however, meet the desire for both function and beauty. “Form and function should be one, joined into a spiritual union,” said famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The right interior designer also knows where to find design pieces that seamlessly integrate into your life while they serve their purpose.
You may have to invest more in terms of money for such design ─ but the benefits will be well worth it. An interior designer can be invaluable in helping you discover all the subtle ways you can incorporate more comfort and beauty into your home.
Investing in your favorite spaces
Take stock of your surroundings, and examine how you live in your home. In which area or rooms do you spend most of your time? What changes to the space would make it ideal for your needs?
For example, if your favorite space at home is your living room, think about:
- Where you sit. Are you comfortable on your sofa or would you prefer an armchair? Maybe you want a window seat to serve as a reading nook.
- What you do there. Do you need room for playing a musical instrument, getting together with friends, working on your art projects, doing a puzzle, or unwinding after work?
- Your favorite pieces in the room. Perhaps a pattern evokes summers of your youth. Or the black-and-white wall photos keep your beloved grandparents in sight. We love when our clients share these pieces with us. Your emotional connection to them helps us bring that feeling to the entire space.
Small details that mean a world of comfort
In spending time in your favorite rooms, you also know their little wrinkles. You have to turn on three lamps instead of just one to have sufficient lighting. Or the sun always stretches through the window at the same time each afternoon and creates a glare on the TV screen. Maybe you’re tired of the paint on the walls and now want fresh, modern colors.
Some small touches, however, aren’t so obvious. An interior designer can see how you live and move in your space and find ways to make it more comfortable and suited to your needs. “The details are not the details,” says designer Charles Eames. “They make the design.”
Perhaps you love to bake for other people and therefore spend free time in your kitchen. You know you need counter space for your culinary creativity, but an interior designer can also recommend some elements that can elevate that space, such as:
- Touch-free faucets for your sink. No more having to use your flour-covered hands to turn on the faucet or asking someone to turn it on for you. This faucet detects motion and starts the water by itself.
- A walk-in pantry. Stop rummaging through the cabinets for ingredients or cluttering the counter with containers. Contact one of our interior designers to help transform a nearby closet into a luxurious pantry.
- A breakfast bar. Your family and friends swing by the kitchen when you bake. So, give them a beautiful place to sit and chat while they wait. Integrate a table into your breakfast bar.
An interior designer can help you increase the comfort of other rooms by meeting with you to discuss:
- Window treatments. Do you want an organic, natural look, such as a natural woven shade in bamboo and matchstick, that lets in light? Or do you prefer a luxurious fabric like damask that enables privacy by blocking more light?
- Statement pieces. An interior designer knows where to find pieces that say something about who you are or what you love. For example, for a beach lover’s room, we can incorporate subtle touches to summon that seaside feeling.
- Health. Spend a lot of time seated? We can procure an armchair or desk chair that is both ergonomic and also visually appealing.
Calling in the professionals
At Jewel Toned Interiors, we understand the importance of uniting form and function, and creating elegant and comfortable spaces for our clients. Schedule a free consultation with us today.